[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:48:54 -0800

You are the only one on a religious crusade on this one, "olde time
religion" even.

I will use just about anything that works and provides me with a minimum set
of functionality.  With QuickTime, it's the lack of full-screen video that
prevents me from even considering the non-free version.  And, that's without
considering the $19.95 to view MPEG-2 transport streams.  I have all sorts
of free and very expensive capture and playback software that does that
quite well, not limited to, but including the StreamExpress/DtGrabber/DtTv
apps from Dektec.

And, I haven't heard of any QuickTime plug-ins that work with DVB-ASI cards
from DVEO or Dektec -- or any other vendor -- so when I want to create or
view MPEG-2 transport streams in their "native" live environment
(essentially, DVB-ASI), QuickTime isn't even in the running.

And, I should point out, I know of no plug-ins for Windows Media Player or
VLC that provide this functionality either.  Part of the problem is the "up
to 216 mb/sec" nature of DVB-ASI.  Much simpler to figure out which program
service within the transport stream to render than to process the entire
transport stream.  That's what non-professional gear does.

What you are referring to is the creation and analysis tasks of the 1990's,
and in non-broadcast environments.

In broadcast environments at least, they are much different these days, and
DVB-ASI (and to a small extent, SMPTE-310) are simply required.

John Willkie