[opendtv] Can't stream HD?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:15:47 -0500

So John says that you can't stream HD with decent quality.

I beg to differ.

Take a look at the 720P version of these artbeats clips shot with the RED camera:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/artbeats_red.html

Or you can compare the 480P and the 1080P.

For the 720P version the bit rate is just less than 6 Mbps, well within the range for streaming.

This content is compressed with h.264, and much of it is VERY demanding. I noticed a bit of contouring in some of the sky scenes, but those were the only artifacts I could see at full 720P resolution on my 15" Macbook display.