[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:53:59 -0500

I'm not going into the PC vs Mac thing but I also dislike QuickTime, to the extent I tend to install it if there is something I absolutely must view, and then remove it again.

It is optimized for a completely different environment that I have chosen not to use. I am employed as a windows programmer. On a project last year I had occasion to deal with Apple support of the (their) ftp standard and it was not a pleasant experience.

I'll easily accept that Mac users like the Mac interface better but bringing it to Windows is not really a feature for those of us on that platform.

And recently there have been Internet security vulnerabilities in QuickTime files so having it installed is just one more thing to keep patched.

Again, I have just made the choice I am not a Mac user. I'm sure there are many good reason why others have chosen differently and I can respect that.

Remember, It's an OS, not a damned religion.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 8:27 PM -0800 12/12/08, John Willkie wrote:
Speaking for myself, Quicktime sounds to be as crappy (no full-screen video)
on Apples as on PCs.

You are wrong about this John - see "Enter Full Screen"

Bloat, if only because they bundle itunes (even when you get the version
purported to not have bundled itunes) and Apple updater.

No. Perceived bloat is associated with the robust feature set and long lost fo codecs that allow you to transcode and produce media files.

And you do not need to download iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/QuickTime_7_5_5_for_Windows

Also not free due to the time and trouble answering repeatedly that you
don't want to update the application. I removed the key for Apple quicktime
updater from my registry hive last night.  It's not the last time I will
have to remove it.

Apple removed this annoying feature months ago because of protests from Windows users.

Closer to evil than anything else. When you go for the updating, you first
have to indicate that you don't want to buy Quicktime pro.

I was working with Apple when the whole concept of QuickTime Pro was created. This was driven by the perceived need to have revenues to offset development costs. I pay the Pro Upgrade cost because it enables a number of features that I use frequently. And you only pay once for each major release - i.e. from the 6 series to the 7 series; typically 2-3 years.

And, who in their right mind (i.e., on a PC) would use the Apple Quicktime SDK? It's no doubt just as easy to add Quicktime codecs using the Windows
Media Format SDK.

Someone who wants to extend the functionality of QuickTime on a PC to enhance their application.

John Willkie, who somehow seems to know just a bit about Quicktime, despite
what Craig says.

What "we" know John, is that you have a chip on your shoulder about QuickTime. This is not surprising, as most 'programmers' who work on PCs do not like to admit that there are other better development environments out there. In many cases - certainly for you - this is driven by the availability of tools that help with your development work.

To be fair, QuickTime is far more useful on a Mac than a PC, as it is tightly integrated with the OS and many applications - especially the iLife (content creation) applications that come with every Mac. This is a contributing factor in the increase in Mac market share among consumers.

On the PC QuickTime provides the plumbing to support iTunes. About 75% of the installed base of iPod users run iTunes on a PC. And then there are the folks that have iPhones...

While you may not like using QuickTime John, the halo effect of using iTunes on a PC is credited as the primary motivation for a significant portion of the consumers who have moved from PCs to the Mac. And the Mac is now growing rapidly as a development platform thanks to Xcode and the App Store.

We could start a thread on the headaches of using a PC as a development platform...