[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:35:48 -0800

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But the main reason for the 'bloat" is that QuickTime is a media
> architecture, not a media player - the player function is but a small part
> of the whole.

True, but the same can be said for Windows Media Player. Even though I
consider WMP a dog (almost to the same level as QT on windows -- it
doesn't obey the Windows HIG either), it still makes use of common
controls and on-demand codecs via directshow, and doesn't try to shove
an instance of all the decoders and webkit into it's footprint. That
right there will always be QT's failing on windows.

> QuickTime is an indispensable tool for anyone who creates content. And the
> QuickTime File Format was adopted by ISO MPEG and the ITU as the format
> container for h.264.

If QT is absolutely required then I will use it. I have no issues with
it besides the fact that I will not use it if I don't have to. Any
H264 content I create on windows I put inside MKV containers since
this can be played back on any platform I personally care about
(Linux, Windows, OSX) using open source decoders.

Cheers
Kon