[opendtv] Re: Can't stream HD?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:43:03 -0800

I guess I'd rather not talk about profit margins with professional
equipment, although the development costs can be significant.  I suspect
you're in the ballpark on the BOM of the OEM, but "I suspect" that Enensys
has followed their general practice and put a label and shell on systems
made by others.

But, Ron, are you sure that those devices sell for as little as $1,000?  The
Dektec FANTASI units(s) http://www.dektec.com/Products/Fantasi.asp  which
generally compete in the same space as the Enensys USB, sell for $3000 and
more.

Enensys doesn't do much "wide scale" 8-VSB units; they generally sell into
R&D environments, in the DVB space.  Not much business there, frankly.  I
think their units are priced accordingly.

I know that I've been offered use of an eval Enensys DVB-ASI to USB device
in the past, and it "retailed" for $3,500.

John Willkie, who knows at least a bit more about Enensys than he is letting
on ...