[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:05:30 -0700

Elijah Bristow State Park was full of bird song this morning, of expected
species.  But we did not hear a phrase of Red-eyed Vireo, so reliable in other
years. Warbling Vireos were present continuously.  We were not out of the
hearing range of one before approaching the songs of others.

We watched a pair of Cedar Waxwings cross the river and land in a tree close by
us.  One of the waxwings had a bill full of nesting material, approached a nest
and settled into it.  Fillamentous lichen covered the exterior of the nest, and
from below it looked finished.  This nest is about 16 ft from the ground.

Common Merganser - female with 4 merglings
Turkey Vulture -12
Mourning Dove - 2
Band-tailed Pigeon - 6
Rufous Hummingbird - 3
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 4
Western Wood Pewee - many
Willow Flycatcher - 5
Cassin’s Vireo - 4
Warbling Vireo - many
Steller's Jay - 3
Western Scrub Jay - 4
Violet-green Swallow - 4
Black-capped Chickadee - 4
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Bewick's Wren - 3
American Robin - many
Swainson’s Thrush - 12
European Starling - 1
Cedar Waxwing - 5
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 10
Wilson’s Warbler - 2
Northern Yellowthroat - 1
Lazuli Bunting -  1
Spotted Towhee - 9
Song Sparrow - 10
Western Tanager - 8
Black-headed Grosbeak - - 15+
Brown-headed Cowbird - 6
Lesser Goldfinch - 1
American Goldfinch - 10

Randy Sinnott, Sylvia Maulding, Sarah Vasconcellos, Dave Brown, Kit Larsen,
Dennis Arendt, Ellen Cantor, Vickie Buck, Jim Regali, and Larry McQueen