[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:25:32 -0700

For the second time this spring, we visited the hill trails behind Lane
Community College.  We found not as many migrant species as expected, but there
were good sightings, such as a flock of RED CROSSBILLS.   A female HOODED
MERGANSER with 12 merglings in one of the ponds was precious.

Canada Goose - 1
Mallard - few
Cinnamon Teal - 1
Hooded Merganser - female and 12 young
California Quail - 5
Turkey Vulture - 1
Red-tailed Hawk  - 4
Mourning Dove - 3
Vaux’s Swift - a number seen over LCC ponds
Rufous Hummingbird - 2
Northern Flicker - 2
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Willow Flycatcher - 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher - 4
Tree Swallow - many swallows of the 4 species "hawking" over LCC ponds
Violet-green Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
American Crow - 1
Steller's Jay - 4
Western Scrub-Jay - 1
Warbling Vireo 2
Cassin’s Vireo - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 8
Bushtit - 6
Brown Creeper - 1
Bewick's Wren - 3
American Robin - 6
Swainson’s Thrush - 1
Wrentit - 4
European Starling - few
Orange-crowned Warbler - 8+
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 6
MacGillivray’s Warbler - 2
Wilson’s Warbler  - 10+
Western Tanager - 15+
Black-headed Grosbeak - 12+
Spotted Towhee - 10
Song Sparrow - 8
Red-winged Blackbird - 2
Brewer's Blackbird - few
Brown-headed Cowbird - 2
Purple Finch - 15
House Finch - 1
Evening Grosbeak - flock of 30 and frequent small numbers overhead
Red Crossbill - flock of 50+
American Goldfinch - few
Pine Siskin - flock of 40+

Jim Regali, Fred Chancey, Don Schrouder, Sylvia Maulding, Dave Brown, Randy
Sinnott, Kit Larsen, Jim Ott, Dennis Arendt, Dave and Sally Hill, and Larry
McQueen