[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:43:49 -0800

We walked the bike path from parking at Aspen and Garden in Springfield to
Island Park and back.  Surprises were some of the diving ducks and Western
Grebe on the River.

Greater White-fronted Goose -  1 with hand-fed flock of mixed geese
Canada Goose - small numbers generally around.
Cackling Goose - couple of flocks over head
Wood Duck - 1 pair at Island Park
Mallard - scattered along the river
Lesser Scaup -  8+
Ring-necked Duck - I think this was reported to me.
BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - 1 male, 5 females at the boat ramp near the opening of the
canoe trail, east end of the Alton Baker river park.
Bufflehead - a pair with the goldeneye
Common Merganser - 2
Hooded Merganser - 4
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Western Grebe - 1
Double-crested Cormorant - 10+
Great Blue Heron - 3
American Coot - 1
Red-tailed Hawk -  1
Cooper’s Hawk - 1
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Ring-billed Gull - several
Glaucous-winged Gull - 1 identified
Rock Pigeon - river bridges
Anna’s Hummingbird - 3
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 4
Northern Flicker - 4
American Crow - here and there
Western Scrub Jay -  6
Black-capped Chickadee - 12
Bushtit - 30
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1 at Island Pk.
Brown Creeper - 5
Bewick's Wren - 3
Pacific Wren - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
American Robin - 50+
Varied Thrush - 1 heard at Island Pk.
European Starling - conspicuous along the river
Song Sparrow - 15 (our only sparrow)
Dark-eyed Junco  - 2
Red-winged Blackbird - 1
House Finch - several singing
Lesser Goldfinch - 6
House Sparrow - 2

Dave Brown, Don Schrouder, Diane Pettey, Joni Dawning, Sylvia Maulding, Kit
Larsen, Paul Sherrell, Jim Ott, Dennis Arendt, Fred Chancey,  Judy and Stephen
Franzen, Dave and Sally Hill, Dick Lamster, and Larry McQueen