[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:19:18 -0800

Fog would keep us close to the habitat, and we decided to walk the alleys from
Allann Bros at 24th and Hilyard, to the edge of Laurelwood golf course and back
around the edges of the historic Masonic Cemetery.  Starlings were the most
conspicuous, and noisiest.  Juncos were the most numerous.

Cackling Goose - heard a small number flying in the fog
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 drying its flight feathers, spreading tail.
Glaucous-winged Gull - 6 (then, every gull would be a 'Glaucous-winged' in the
fog)
Anna’s Hummingbird - 3
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Northern Flicker - 7
American Crow - individuals always present
Steller's Jay - 5
Western Scrub Jay - 13
Black-capped Chickadee - 12
Chestnut-backed Chickadee - 1
Bushtit - 50+
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Bewick's Wren - 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 8
American Robin - many, in feeding flocks and flying
European Starling - A group in a treetop wherever we were
Cedar Waxwing - several flocks, none huge
Townsend’s Warbler - 2
Spotted Towhee - 5
Fox Sparrow - 2
Song Sparrow - 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 9
Dark-eyed Junco  - maybe 200
Purple Finch - 1
House Finch - 2
American Goldfinch - 12
Lesser Goldfinch - 1
House Sparrow - 6

Don Schrouder, Dave Brown, Chuck Thomas, Fred Chancey, Jim Ott, and Larry
McQueen