[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:27:07 -0700

I think everyone expected more birds at Buford Park (Mount Pisgah) this
morning, but it was a nice day; only a bit cool. We took the river trail
southward, which bends eastward through the clearing, then ends at the river
toward the south again. In the woods after the clearing, we encountered a nice
couple on the trail who pointed out a Great Horned Owl nest that they had been
watching for days. Only one chick could be seen in the nest but no adults were
seen this morning. The best warbler activity was at the lilly pond at the new
bridge and overlook. One unidentified Empy was present there.

Canada Goose - 1 heard
Mallard - 3
Ring-necked Duck - 3
Great Blue Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture - 9
Osprey - 1
Bald Eagle - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Eurasian Collared Dove - 1
Mourning Dove - 5
Great Horned Owl - 1 downy in nest
Rufous Hummingbird - 6
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 1 at nest hole
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Northern Flicker - 2
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
American Kestrel- 1
Steller's Jay - 4
Western Scrub-Jay - 3
American Crow - few
Common Raven - 2
Violet-green Swallow - 20 +
Barn Swallow - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 6
Bushtit - 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
Brown Creeper - 2
House Wren - 2
Bewick's Wren - 5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
American Robin - 12
Varied Thrush - 2
European Starling - few
Orange-crowned Warbler - 10
Common Yellowthroat - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler - a few; two seen well in high plumage, one 'Myrtle’ .
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 1
Wilson's Warbler - flock, maybe 6
Spotted Towhee - 8
Song Sparrow - 6
Lincoln's Sparrow - 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 4
Brown-headed Cowbird - 3 (2 males and a female together)
Lesser Goldfinch - a few
American Goldfinch - 3

Kit Larsen, Sylvia Maulding, Scott Mcheeley, Jim Regali, Marie Roye, Jane
(name), Cindy Armstrong, Steven and Judy Franzen, Chuck Thomas, Sarah
Vasconcellos, Vickie Buck, Dave Brown, Dennis Arendt, Ellen Cantor, and Larry
McQueen