[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:19:54 -0800

The coffee was good but the weather was not.  Constant rain caused many to opt
out of the birding part of the morning, while a remaining 4 went car birding.
We did the airport area, then to Alvadore and Kirk Pond below Fern Ridge Dam.
After studying the waterfowl on the pond we headed down Fir Butte Road and
Fisher Road to west llth, then K.R. Neilsen Road to Cantrel Road and back to W.
llth via Crow Rd.  The extremely large flocks of Pintail in fields everywhere
were quite impressive.  Smaller numbers of Mallards, Green-winged Teal, Wigeon,
Shoveler, and Gadwall were often grouped around the edges of the big flocks.

Tundra Swan - 38
Canada Goose - No large flocks on the ground, but some sizable distant flocks
in the air.
Cackling Goose - fair size flocks
Eurasian Wigeon - 3 males on Kirk Pond
American Wigeon -  Kirk Pond had probably between 200 and 300
Mallard - always present in small numbers
Gadwall - 15
Northern Pintail - thousands  -- no way to estimate numbers.
Green-Winged Teal - maybe 100
Northern Shoveler - least numerous
Greater Scaup - 35 on Kirk Pond
Ring-necked Duck - 4 on Kirk
Redhead - 4 on Kirk
Bufflehead - 1
Pied-billed Grebe - 1
Double-crested Cormorant - 50
Great Blue Heron - 2
Great Egret - 1
Wild Turkey - 51
American Coot - 20
White-tailed Kite - 2
Bald Eagle - 14
Northern Harrier - 2
Red-tailed Hawk  - 2
American Kestrel - 4
Peregrine - 1 adult watching over a K.R. Neilsen flock of Pintail
Killdeer - 8
Wilson’s Snipe - 7
Ring-billed Gull - 1
Glaucous-winged Gull - 1
Rock Pigeon - 2
Mourning Dove - 12
Eurasian Collared Dove - 15
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Acorn Woodpecker - 2
Northern Flicker - 4
Tree Swallow - 2
Common Raven - 6
American Crow - 10
Steller's Jay - 4
Western Scrub-Jay - 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
American Robin - 300+  One mostly white robin was with a flock in field along
Royal just east of the Acorn Woodpecker lot.
Western Bluebird - 11
Varied Thrush - 3
European Starling - too many
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 1
Savannah Sparrow - 3
White-crowned Sparrow - 8+
Dark-eyed Junco  - 25+
Red-winged Blackbird - many
Western Meadowlark - 10
Brewer's Blackbird - 50
House Finch - 1
House Sparrow - 12

Fred Chancey, Don Schrouder, Dave Brown, and Larry McQueen