[obol] Wed morning, Eugene

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:14:31 -0800

The list is meager for a morning at the "South Willamette Dump" at end of 52nd
St. - and it's even padded by my run around the memorial cemetery on Willamette
opposite 40th St, which added more robins, Varied Thrushes, flickers, crows,
starlings, and the Killdeer.  In the oak woods at the dump, we encountered the
only numbers in mixed flock (mostly Golden-crowned Kinglets).  The
White-breasted Nuthatches were a nice find, as they had been missed over recent
years at this site.   Previously, they had been so reliable year-around in
these oaks.

Mallard -  a pair on a puddle at the top
Red-tailed Hawk  - 3
Killdeer - 4 at the cemetery
Anna’s Hummingbird - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Northern Flicker - 12
Pileated Woodpecker - 2
American Crow - few
Steller's Jay - 8+
Western Scrub-Jay - 6
Black-capped Chickadee - 8
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
Brown Creeper - 1
Bewick's Wren - 4
Pacific Wren - probably several
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 16
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
American Robin - 20
Varied Thrush - 5
European Starling - 30+
Spotted Towhee - 8
Fox Sparrow - 4
Song Sparrow - 8
Dark-eyed Junco  - a few scattered and a flock of some numbers
House Finch - singing in town

Fred Chancey, Don Schrouder, Sylvia Maulding, Dave Brown, Judy and Stephen
Franzen, Joni Dawning, Dave and Sally Hill, Dick Lamster, and Larry McQueen