[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:17:48 -0400

Summarizing what I know and using a psychological view of the subject, sex
offenders are throughout the population.  It crosses all socioeconomic and
racial levels, but in many countries crimes and sex crimes against children are
much more prevalent.  Sex crimes, including pedophilia, are about power,
hatred, and rage.  Often the predator has themselves been sexually abused.  Sex
is a way to express feelings of powerlessness, just the form of weapon so to
speak.  The sexual response releases powerful endogenous pleasure chemicals
that can be addicting, and coupled with using it as an outlet for one's
internal demons, it's pretty established that sexual predators cannot,
generally speaking, be rehabilitated.  It's like alcoholism, it can be managed,
never cured.  Drugs in general are ways to escape what's inside, mostly the
fury and accompanying grief at childhood losses.  Sexual predators hate
themselves, but the hate is really of the parental injunctions and actions
internal
 ized onto self, then externalized onto someone else.  Sex crimes reflect abuse
and neglect, passive as well as active, in childhood.  Passive abuse is
powerful abuse but it's sometimes remembered as a good childhood.  It's like I
said for years that affairs have nothing to do with sex but everything to do
with getting back at someone.  It's wanting to hurt the spouse because the
spouse is the transferred parent.  Sometimes it's also using someone to feel
good ("they're paying attention to me because I'm wonderful").  Basically just
using someone.  Sorry this is incoherent, but I don't have enough time to do
better, and it's not worth it since the next email in response will be from
Mike or Eric telling me that there's no such thing as an unconscious.
Whatever.  Just a P.S.  It sounds like Foley may have wanted to get caught and
punished.  That's why he wrote the laws.  Real criminals and killers, like Ted
Bundy, get a high out of not getting caught.  Either that or Foley is
  really stupid, which I doubt.