[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:44:03 +0100 (BST)

Sorry to move so far back in the thread

> Lawrence, my assertion is a simple one. The war in
> Iraq has caused moderate muslims to be attracted to
> fundamentalist ideology. Because of the war (which,
> it should be noted, had nothing to do with 9/11),
> there are now more fundamentalist muslims than there
> were before.

Perhaps.  But as someone who lives among Muslims
including fundamentalist Muslims, I'd say something
different.  Because of the war on Iraq, some Muslims
are being attracted to extremist versions of militant
Islam. I dislike fundamentalism but we should make a
distinction between the kind that insists that women
wear the hijab (an insistence I oppose) and the kind
that calls for jihad on the West.  Within the second
kind, I add, there are variations.

Judy

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html