[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:22:34 +0100

"Iraqi oil is contracted to India and China."

Sure, but who's got the maintenance contracts and where did the revenues go during Bremner's tenure. It's not all as parcelled as you seem to think.

"...we're hypocrites if we don't take out all Islamist-prone nations
and savage barbarians if we do take action. Nice double bind, Simon."

Eric, there was clear evidence that the Pakistani ISI was involved and indirect evidence that Musharaff knew what was happening. Even now, considering what happened at a recent court hearing in the UK, it seems possible that the ISI is still involved with terrorist organisations in Pakistan, potentially even training terrorists. Now if this is a 'War on Terror', why the hell is nothing being done against Pakistan.

"For us to attack the Pakis because of what their ISI did, we would be
hypocrites if  we didn't also nuke Germany because some Germans were
involved in harboring the Atta cell."

You can't equate the ISI (the state security organisation) with 'some Germans' who harboured Atta's cell. If that was the case you'd have been bombing Finsbury Park Mosque. Get real.

"What's totally weird is that you side with the Islamist argument. Don't you want us to win the war on terror? I mean, I understand really hating Bush...but do
you want to see the United States destroyed just to get Bush?"

Eric, do you really think I'm on the side of Islamic Terrorists? A certified athiest siding with religious fundamentalists. On the other hand, I'm not at all convinced that your 'war on terror' is an accurate description of Bush and Rumsfeld's 'Long War'. I do not want to see any 'fight against terrorism' lost, but I do not want to see a victorious war for Empire. Whoever is fighting to gain one.

Sorry Eric, but it's not hanging together and the more I hear Bush talking about the danger to American citizens, the more I hear Goering at Nuremberg.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>