[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:23:22 -0400

Simon: Interesting then that just as documents are leaked in the US point towards Iraq as a 'recruiting sergeant' for muslim extremism . . .

What else is there but ideology?

Think about it from the terrorist recruit's point of view. You wake up and knuckle the grit from your eyes. It's a few days after your 19th birthday.

What shall you do today?

Hmmm.

Your mom makes it no secret that she admires shaheeds. When she's cranky, she says, "Why can't my son be a martyr like the Haluf's eldest son? There's a young man who earned his virgins! Not like my good for nothing." You cringe every time she does that.

Then there's the old insane desert blood-lust religion stuck like a fly in your ear. Its scripture is the only book you've ever read, and you know it by heart. The madrassa teacher who's been caning you since you were seven has read Qutb, and he helps you interpret this sacred book.

What shall you do today?