[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:43:47 +0100

Seems you're in revisionist mode then Lawrence. Shame really.

The issue, Lawrence is the manner in which moderates become extremist, not with
how many moderates there might be. You have consistently said that it's
exclusively down to ideology, which of course denies the possibility that the
Iraq war (to take one example) might be pushing moderates towards the
extremists.

Now, however, you seem to be suggesting otherwise. Forgetting Qutb for the
moment, deal with the simple question: Do moderate mulsims react to their
perceptions and experiences of western action in the world?

Simon