[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:59:21 -0400

Somewhere in the last week I have heard...
The plural of anecdote is not fact. Clever of someone...
U.

Robert Paul wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

An anecdotal argument is essentially an inductive argument with an
inadequate sampling.

That is one way to look at it but usually 'anecdotal evidence' (I've never heard
of an anecdotal argument) is evidence based on things heard or read that lie
outside evidence based on confirmed studies or direct observation. It is the
uncertain origins of alleged 'evidence' that make it anecdotal not the number
of instances of it.

Robert Paul