[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:56:22 -0700

Assertions are cheap.  They don't cost anything and if there isn't a hint of
rationale, they mean less.  In one of my previous notes I described how
difficult it was to get information about whether there were some, many, or
no moderates in the Middle East, but you have no trouble in asserting that
Iraq has increased the number of Islamists in the Middle East.  Upon what do
you base this assertion of yours?

I see you are assuming the existence of moderates in the Middle East.  Do
you have any evidence that they exist?  Quote me one moderate writer writing
from within the Middle East.  If you can, you'll be one up on Omar.

That the war in Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 is simplistic.  The same
person who told us we threatened to bomb Pakistan into the stone age (I
reported this while reading America's Secret War, by George Friedman in
January 2005) reported that going into Iraq was absolutely necessary if we
wanted to get cooperation from the Saudi's in our pursuit of Al Quaeda
members.  At the time the Saudis would not cooperate with us because they
were more afraid of Saddam than they were of us.  Saddam's story was that he
had backed down the US so everyone in the vicinity needed to forget about
the US and pay attention to him.  After we went into Iraq we got cooperation
from the Saudi's.  At the time it was believed (Friedman is the source for
this also) that Al Quaeda had two suitcase bombs; so cooperation in tracking
down Al Quaeda members was not considered an option.  That wasn't the only
reason we went into Iraq, there were many reasons, but it was an important
reason not mentioned; just as we never mentioned we got the cooperation we
wanted from Pakistan by threatening to bomb them into the stone age.

Lawrence

  _____