[lit-ideas] Re: Hartiana

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 18:52:18 +0100

There are so many operative systems of rules that are nothing at all like
contracts that it's hardly worth even pointing out. Suffice it to mention
the drafted military and the prison. A contract supposes a capacity to make
a voluntary decision to enter an arrangement and uphold it. Most people
don't make such a voluntary decision to enter a society, except perhaps in
the case of immigrants, and even that is often dubious. Moreover, even with
contracts that are entered voluntarily, one often finds that they are not
voluntarily upheld later on, and need to be enforced by the legal system.

Really if the best Grice could do is some version of the Roussian social
contract, he needn't have bothered.

O.K.