[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:31:09 -0400

Mike: ... your hatred for the poor.

Eric: Not "my hatred of the poor." I was reporting what I experienced during a low point in my life.

(My father was dying and I wanted to be his primary care-giver. I had a good job but it made no accommodations for family medical leave like extended home hospice care. Didn't matter; it was an ethical imperative, so I did it anyway. Went broke doing it, and after my father died, I still wanted to live in the city, and had to live as cheaply as possible. Hence the SRO in the lousy neighborhood. I was there for almost a year and the experience almost defeated me.)

Other poor people (I was one) in the neighborhood tried to rob me. One mentally-ill gay guy used to stalk me in the bathroom shared with the others on the floor. There was a hooker hotel across the street that always spilled its trade onto the sidewalks. Drunks would sleep in the alleys and fight at night. There was 24/7/365 truck traffic under my window.

Wealthy acquaintances came to my aid unasked, and helped me without expectation of credit or obligation. When I was re-established in the city, I repaid them.

That was my experience. It contradicts yours. I'm not generalizing to "the poor," merely reporting my experience.