[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:37:48 -0400

John: The fundamental problem, it seems to me, is that not only are we as a society "unzipping" politically along red/blue lines, we are "unzipping" socially along economic lines. I grew up knowing a fair number of rich and poor people. I suspect that most citizens in the U.S. today no longer have as wide a range of friends or acquaintances of differing economic status. Who we don't know can destroy us as a society.

Well said! Perhaps one of the underlying causes is the absence of any real community anywhere. The only thing people have in common today is TV. TV has become our national/global ersatz community.