[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:50:17 EDT

The only conceivable reason I could imagine for owning a gun is  protection.
I prefer either mace or pepper spray, depending on which does  least lasting
damage (something I keep putting off investigating).

My ex had a farmer buddy who owned a gun.  We went out to his house  once and
Dennis (my ex) and Bob decided to shoot a gun at some tin  cans.   I had
never even touched one.  I asked to try once.   Simply holding it was an
immediate
surge of feeling of power.  I fired  it.  Firing it was nothing special and I
had no particular desire to do so  again....just wanted to see once what it
was like.

I do, however, have a penchant for knives -- not ordinary kitchen knives,
but ivory handled knives, , bone-handled knives with carvings, a large knife my

husband picked up at a flea market with the curved end style, very very
heavy,  well balanced, beautiful wood, marked "made in Pakistan", a small
delicate
mother of pearl handled knife.  I have no use for any of them.  I just  find
them aesthetically pleasing.

Julie Krueger
collector of knives and masks
(I don't EVEN wanna know what that means)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you
so?  Date: 5/30/06 6:02:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As Taylor tells us, we  have a lot of reasons for the things we believe and
do.  You live in Canada  and donât want a gun because guns kill people.  The
implication being that  you donât want a gun because you donât want to kill
anyone.  I wasnât  raised with any idea like that.  Guns are offensive or
defensive depending  upon who has them and what his intention is.   The guy
coming to
rob  you and kill you if necessary intends his gun for offensive purposes,
but you,  if you had a gun could use it for defensive purposes.  You could let
him  know you had a gun and perhaps that would cause him to leave yours tackle
a  less-defended house, or you could actually use it for defense if he were
persistent.  But, of course if there are few criminals in Canada who use  guns
to do such things as I described, then why bother?  In such a peaceful
environment only hunters, target shooters, and perhaps war-paraphernalia
collectors
would be interested in owning guns.
At Boeing years ago, my  office was across the aisle from a very Liberal
fellow who was against the  owning of guns.  His wife was Canadian and he used
travel up there  regularly â claimed to be treated rather shabbily by the
Canadians by the  way.  This fellow lived near the beach and had something of a
hippy  life-style.  Sometimes on holidays people who used the beach would park
in  his driveway so that he couldnât park his own car there.  He had a lot of

confrontations with them.  He was a big guy and despite his Liberal  leanings
could confront with the best of them.  He also had a baseball bat  in his
bedroom for defense.
If you donât feel  comfortable with a gun because you were taught certain
things about them, had  certain experiences with them, or you canât remember
why
but just donât like  them, then you shouldnât have a gun.  Get a baseball
bat
or get good locks  on your doors and windows and hope if someone ever does
try to break in that the  police will get there before they get to you.
Furthermore, your  chances are probably good no one will target your house.
Only
16% of men  will contract prostate cancer sometime in their lives.  The chances
of your  being robbed in your home are probably much lower than that.  I think
it  entirely reasonable to rely upon the laws of chance and take no
precautions  against either eventuality.
Lawrence