[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 18:05:47 -0700

Julie wrote:
 >I prefer either mace or pepper spray, depending on which does least lasting
 >>damage (something I keep putting off investigating).
  ck: Don't use either of these unless you're pretty adept at some form of the
martial arts.  You have to get close to your attacker for the sprays to be
helpful, and if you're that close, you're in serious jeopardy--in a position of
self-defense, you vs. your attacker. Disabling the attacker is your best bet.
Or, if you're a very fast runner, that's an option.

   Holding a can of mace (illegal most places; it's really pepper spray they
talk about) may make you feel more protected than you actually are. People who
don't know self-defense tactics often mistakenly point the nozzle at
themselves. (Same as with guns.)

  I think a woman needs to figure out what she feels comfortable with,
self-defensively, and follow through with the plan. If it's Krav Maga with a
shiv in your heel when out and a 12-gauge at home, that's what it's gotta be.
Personally, I don't want guns in my house, but I'm now living in such a
dangerous area (the neighborhood and the town) that I'm sick of it all.

  Unfortunately, loads of the gunshot deaths in these parts are drive-by
shootings (not necessarily gang-on-gang!), and stupid scattershot gunplay, for
the hell of it. Carjackings aren't uncommon, though, but by the time you reach
for a gun in your glove compartment, it's all over, one way or another.

  Btw, can anyone here stand watching those CSI shows on TV? Isn't there enough
violence on the news to satisfy even the hungriest bloodthirsty person? Or are
these TV shows (and news) feeding the hunger, as that experiment implied.

  Carol