[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:55:09 -0700 (PDT)

That still leaves unanswered the question as to why guys are drawn to guns in
the first place.

Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                I haven?t heard anyone address the most important question: had
these guys, the ones whose testosterone went up, ever fired guns before.  So
much myth has been created in recent years about guns; they probably had little
or no experience with guns and thought they were doing something dangerous.

  I was a rifle instructor in the Marine Corps, have a fair amount of
experience with guns and doubt very seriously if my testosterone goes up when I
go up a local canyon to do a little target shooting.  I actually think of it as
a bit of a nuisance, but something I ought to do from time to time.

  I gave a nephew of mine a Browning Hi-Power last November and replaced it
with a CZ-75 P-01.  When he was out here last week-end he was surprised to
learn that I hadn?t fired it yet.  I told him I was having a custom holster
made and hadn?t received it yet.  He said there was no way he would have a gun
for six months without ever firing it.  Now his testosterone might go up while
firing a gun.  He hasn?t fired a gun all that much, and he is only 21.

  Lawrence