[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:07:26 -0700

>My primary concern right now, though, is that I am temporarily
>>transportationless  and do a great deal of walking.
  ck: Try your best to walk only during the day, and stay on busy streets--one
with other pedestrians.  Walk quickly and speed up if any cars slow down near
you. I do suggest you take a quickie self-defense-for-women class, the type
they give at YMCAs, as soon as possible. If nothing else, learn how to give a
quick kick in the right place. If you're unable to run, consider getting a gun
for self-protection on your walks, but only if you're willing to take lessons.
A gun toter who can't use a gun properly is no safer than a person with a thumb
on that dumb mace can.  And no, I don't think mace or pepper spray is worth
buying or trying to use. The stuff is worse than worthless--it's false
protection, which is harmful.
  pax,
  xena

        Date: 5/30/06 8:06:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: carolkir@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  Julie wrote:
   >I prefer either mace or pepper spray, depending on which does least lasting
>damage (something I keep putting off investigating).
    ck: Don't use either of these unless you're pretty adept at some form of
the martial arts.  You have to get close to your attacker for the sprays to be
helpful, and if you're that close, you're in serious jeopardy--in a position of
self-defense, you vs. your attacker. Disabling the attacker is your best bet.
Or, if you're a very fast runner, that's an option.

     Holding a can of mace (illegal most places; it's really pepper spray they
talk about) may make you feel more protected than you actually are. People who
don't know self-defense tactics often mistakenly point the nozzle at
themselves. (Same as with guns.)

    I think a woman needs to figure out what she feels comfortable with,
self-defensively, and follow through with the plan. If it's Krav Maga with a
shiv in your heel when out and a 12-gauge at home, that's what it's gotta be.
Personally, I don't want guns in my house, but I'm now living in such a
dangerous area (the neighborhood and the town) that I'm sick of it all.

    Unfortunately, loads of the gunshot deaths in these parts are drive-by
shootings (not necessarily gang-on-gang!), and stupid scattershot gunplay, for
the hell of it. Carjackings aren't uncommon, though, but by the time you reach
for a gun in your glove compartment, it's all over, one way or another.

    Btw, can anyone here stand watching those CSI shows on TV? Isn't there
enough violence on the news to satisfy even the hungriest bloodthirsty person?
Or are these TV shows (and news) feeding the hunger, as that experiment implied.

    Carol