[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:12:55 -0700

Seriously, Julie, the druggy scene you describe sounds unsafe for walking and
living. You're potentially in the crossfire between kids hopped up on PCP.
Secure those windows, for one thing. Don't go romping as if you're in a nice
comfy bubble. I recommended the 12-gauge for home use because cocking the gun
alone often scares away intruders. One of the last things I'd ever want to do
is use a gun, but if you have one--or need one--you'd be well-advised to be
ready and able to use the thing, if you must. Good training (NRA info, for
Christ's sake) is essential, especially if you're against guns. Times have
changed...and so have I with them.
Carol
        Date: 5/30/06 8:06:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time
        From: carolkir@xxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  Julie wrote:
   >I prefer either mace or pepper spray, depending on which does least lasting
>damage (something I keep putting off investigating).
    ck: Don't use either of these unless you're pretty adept at some form of
the martial arts.  You have to get close to your attacker for the sprays to be
helpful, and if you're that close, you're in serious jeopardy--in a position of
self-defense, you vs. your attacker. Disabling the attacker is your best bet.
Or, if you're a very fast runner, that's an option.

     Holding a can of mace (illegal most places; it's really pepper spray they
talk about) may make you feel more protected than you actually are. People who
don't know self-defense tactics often mistakenly point the nozzle at
themselves. (Same as with guns.)

    I think a woman needs to figure out what she feels comfortable with,
self-defensively, and follow through with the plan. If it's Krav Maga with a
shiv in your heel when out and a 12-gauge at home, that's what it's gotta be.
Personally, I don't want guns in my house, but I'm now living in such a
dangerous area (the neighborhood and the town) that I'm sick of it all.

    Unfortunately, loads of the gunshot deaths in these parts are drive-by
shootings (not necessarily gang-on-gang!), and stupid scattershot gunplay, for
the hell of it. Carjackings aren't uncommon, though, but by the time you reach
for a gun in your glove compartment, it's all over, one way or another.

    Btw, can anyone here stand watching those CSI shows on TV? Isn't there
enough violence on the news to satisfy even the hungriest bloodthirsty person?
Or are these TV shows (and news) feeding the hunger, as that experiment implied.

    Carol