[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:16:25 EDT

If it's Krav Maga with a shiv in your  heel when out and a 12-gauge at home
huh?  Kray Maga?  Shiv?  Is a 12-gauge a pistol or a  rifle?

I used to have a large very property protective dog - I never bothered to
lock my doors.  He bit 3 different people (including myself) and had to be  put
down.

I live across the street from a transitional neighborhood which is
essentially filled with drugs, alcohol, and guns.  Cops run through there a
dozen
times a day.  On my side of the street are 4 very respectable  middle-class
homes
(of which one is mine).  The land across the street used  to be open field I
rode gottland ponies through.  Then some shmuck decided  to put up dozens of
the most poorly and cheaply built apartments possible.   I have deadbolts on my
doors, but the window locks are not very secure --  can be pushed with a
stick.  I've had bikes and trash cans stolen from my  driveway right up against
the
garage door.  No one has attempted to break  in yet.  But....

My primary concern right now, though, is that I am temporarily
transportationless  and do a great deal of walking.  Past some not too  great
neighborhoods.  Hence my thought of portable mace or pepper  spray.  How hard
can it be to
point the nozzle in the right  direction?   And how far away does one have to
be for it to take  effect, giving the macer or pepper-sprayer time to run to a
place of  safety?  I've also thought about guns that shoot rubber bullets.

Julie Krueger
w/ bigger problems than self-protection at the moment

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you
so?  Date: 5/30/06 8:06:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_carolkir@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:carolkir@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julie wrote:
 >I prefer either mace or pepper spray, depending on which does  least
lasting >damage (something I keep putting off investigating).

ck: Don't use either of these unless you're pretty adept at  some form of the
martial arts.  You have to get close to your attacker  for the sprays to be
helpful, and if you're that close, you're in serious  jeopardy--in a position
of self-defense, you vs. your  attacker. Disabling the attacker is your best
bet. Or, if  you're a very fast runner, that's an option.

 Holding a can of mace (illegal most places; it's  really pepper spray they
talk about) may make you feel more protected  than you actually are. People who
don't know self-defense tactics often  mistakenly point the nozzle at
themselves. (Same as with  guns.)

I think a woman needs to figure out what she feels  comfortable with,
self-defensively, and follow through with the plan. If it's  Krav Maga with a
shiv in
your heel when out and a 12-gauge at home, that's  what it's gotta be.
Personally, I don't want guns in my house, but I'm now  living in such a
dangerous
area (the neighborhood and the town) that I'm sick  of it all.

Unfortunately, loads of the gunshot deaths in these parts  are drive-by
shootings (not necessarily gang-on-gang!), and stupid  scattershot gunplay, for
the
hell of it. Carjackings aren't uncommon, though,  but by the time you reach
for a gun in your glove compartment, it's all over,  one way or another.

Btw, can anyone here stand watching those CSI shows on TV?  Isn't there
enough violence on the news to satisfy even the hungriest  bloodthirsty person?
Or
are these TV shows (and news) feeding the hunger, as  that experiment implied.

Carol