[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:27:39 -0500

LH:
>>"You live in Canada and don't want a gun because guns kill people.  The
>>implication being that you don't want a gun because you don't want to kill
>>anyone.  I wasn't raised with any idea like that." <<

Ack!  Surely you don't mean that you were raised with the idea that you should
want a gun because you should want to kill someone -- anyone.  :  )   I'm
giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

>>"But, of course if there are few criminals in Canada who use guns to do such
>>things as I described, then why bother?" <<

Thank you!  Yes!  Where there's gun control, there's less gun crime.  A
breakthrough!

>> "At Boeing years ago, my office was across the aisle from a very Liberal
>> fellow who was against the owning of guns.  His wife was Canadian and he
>> used to travel up there regularly - claimed to be treated rather shabbily by
>> the Canadians by the way." <<

Tell me about it.  Those Canadians are the shabbiest.

>>"This fellow lived near the beach and had something of a hippy life-style."
>><<

I knew it!

>>"He was a big guy and despite his Liberal leanings could confront with the
>>best of them." <<

A hypocrite hippy and big to boot!  The bastard.

>>"He also had a baseball bat in his bedroom for defense." <<

A caveman!  Jesus, is there no end to this man's ignominy?

>>"The chances of your being robbed in your home are probably much lower than
>>that.  I think it entirely reasonable to rely upon the laws of chance and
>>take no precautions against either eventuality." <<

Well, I'll be damned, you are rational.  : )

Mike Geary
Memphis