[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:26:35 -0700

I haven't heard anyone address the most important question: had these guys,
the ones whose testosterone went up, ever fired guns before.  So much myth
has been created in recent years about guns; they probably had little or no
experience with guns and thought they were doing something dangerous.

I was a rifle instructor in the Marine Corps, have a fair amount of
experience with guns and doubt very seriously if my testosterone goes up
when I go up a local canyon to do a little target shooting.  I actually
think of it as a bit of a nuisance, but something I ought to do from time to
time.

I gave a nephew of mine a Browning Hi-Power last November and replaced it
with a CZ-75 P-01.  When he was out here last week-end he was surprised to
learn that I hadn't fired it yet.  I told him I was having a custom holster
made and hadn't received it yet.  He said there was no way he would have a
gun for six months without ever firing it.  Now his testosterone might go up
while firing a gun.  He hasn't fired a gun all that much, and he is only 21.

Lawrence

  _____