[lit-ideas] Re: A Movie [longish]

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:31:53 -0400

Thanks Andreas. As I'm flying to Paris on Sunday, I found this really comforting...I think.
Ursula

Andreas Ramos wrote:

The following was posted to another list.

I repost this as an example of how impossible it will be to stop terrorism.

He gives lots of clever and plausible examples. Any of us who studied chemistry in high school or college can come up with yet more ways to make a boom.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 11, 2006 12:25:19 AM EDT
Subject: On the implausibility of the explosives plot.

First, a note of introduction. Until recently, I was a computer
security guy, and as with many in my profession, the application of
computer security analysis to non-computer security problems was
increasingly interesting to me. Now, for reasons that don't need
exploring at this juncture, I'm back at school, studying chemistry,
and I'm spending this summer in a lab doing organic synthesis
work. Strangely, today I find my interests colliding.

So, I'm doing a bunch of reading, and I find the claimed method the
"highly sophisticated" attackers came up with for bringing down
airliners kind of implausible. I wonder if it could ever work in
reality.

(truncated)