[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [liblouis] r715 committed - the last batch of files converted to utf-8.

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:10:03 +0100

Hi John,

On Mon 02/07/12,09:52, John J. Boyer wrote:
> UTF-8 in the opcode arguments would be a bad idea. Since the beginning,
> the character argument has accepted characters from 0 to 127 as valid.
> UTF-8 conflicts with this.

According to the standard 0 to 127 is exactly the same for ascii and for utf-8,
so this is not a conflict.

Wikipedia reitterates this:

"The first 128 characters of Unicode, which correspond one-to-one with ASCII,
are encoded using a single octet with the
same binary value as ASCII, making valid ASCII text valid UTF-8-encoded Unicode
as well."

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

I could dig up a more reputable source if its required.

Thanks,
Mesar