[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [liblouis] r715 committed - the last batch of files converted to utf-8.

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 18:00:06 +0100

On Tue 03/07/12,11:17, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I feel that it is important that the tables should be human-readable and
> editable with simple text editors.

Human readable is exactly one of the cases why we should move to utf8.
\xhhhh is not really readable.
If i write the word "hello" as:

word \x0068\x0065\x006c\x006c\x006f 125-15-123-123-135

Its not really readable.
Of course "hello" here is just an example to illustrate what has to be done for
non a-zA-z languages.

unicode is now an old and established standard, and is used for the majority of
documents across the web, many simple editors support this out
of the box.

If you like we can help you to find an editor that will work with your tools
and utf8 at the same time?

> I don't care that it doesn['t look pretty.

The point that Christian and I are trying to make is that \xhhhh doesnt look
very readable to us :)

> It makes things easier for people who have to maintain tables after the
> original author is finished with them.

That second person popping up is probably going to be another person from that
country, and will be able to read their letters using their
screenreader much easier than having to match \xhhhh representation to
individual letters.
If it was a sighted person, they are even less likely to find the \xhhhh
mapping intuative.

> Finally, I don't think it is a good idea to suddenly change a way of
> writing tables that has been used from the beginning.

The question is not suddenly, its a question of evolution over time to match
changing needs.
Before, most of liblouis customers were either european or american, which were
served either by ascii or latin1, but with free
screenreaders and with lower costs for accessible materials and devices, we
have to accommodate for new users.

My intention is not to be irritating, but simply expressing my view and feeding
back to the project what I get from other sources.
Remember I sit on fences, I have people wanting and regularly asking to have
braille support both in nvda
and orca for their languages, so I
decided to volunteer time to liblouis because it is a worth while project.
I am sure braille embossing in native languages or mixed language texts is also
often requested.

Our list of tasks still includes adding 21 indian languages, and as of yet an
uncounted numberof african languages.

Thanks for understanding.
Mesar