[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: [liblouis] r715 committed - the last batch of files converted to utf-8.

  • From: Michał Bałamut <mb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:03:54 +0200

Hi,

Mesar Hameed wrote:

> Human readable is exactly one of the cases why we should move to utf8.

Sorry if I missed some parts of this discussion, but why not stick with UTF16?
It is already supported by liblouis and with most modern editors it is also
human readable, so no need for \xhhhh notation.
If you decide to implement UTF8, removing support for latin1 is not necessary.
An approach used by some text editors is to assume that a file is in UTF8, and
when an invalid UTF8 sequence is encountered, read the file again falling back
to latin1. Usually it works quite reliably.

MB