[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 9:53:45 +0000

> From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2007/05/22 Tue AM 09:25:55 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > Hi Jorge,
> >

> >> I think that's a shortsighted position that will only discourage
> >> community initiatives, and unnecessarily spur the creation of what you
> >> call custom builds. This, in the end, will only encourage the creation
> >> of more rather than less third party distros, something that I thought
> >> Haiku was trying to avoid.
> >>
> >> Anyway, I have generated enough noise for today, so I rest my case. :P
> >>

> > I can see your point, but what about the updated guidelines? Do they adress
> > the problem or not?
> >

> Yes, they are definitely a step in the right direction. :)
>
> I am just getting mixed signals, because Michael's (more stringent) view
> seems to conflict with the updated guidelines. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Yes, it's not clear whether the updates are "official" or if it's just
Waldermar's view.

Personally I think the demo thing leaves a bit too much of a loophole for
changed distros to be called "Haiku". I'd rather have nightly isos for download
next to the current images which would be sufficient for most purposes. It's a
work in progress and the best way of showing what we've got at the moment is to
do just that. Make it clear that everything on the CD is in the Haiku tree and
the CD is a snapshot of the current state of the project. If people want to do
more, they should have to make it clear that they've made alterations, and then
the distro guidelines should apply IMHO.

For fear of turning poisonous, I'm going to stop now!

Simon

oh ps: I'm still working on the activity updates, it took me longer than I
hoped to catch up on the previous week, but now I am documenting updates as
they happen into a work-in-progress post I have. I'm planning on releasing it
this Thursday.