[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 08:11:37 -0700

Hi Waldemar,

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
On 5/20/07, Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The above example is not a clean build from the repo, nor is it
> official, but it's not meant to be anything beyond a CD for demo or
> promotional purposes. As a matter of fact, it may most likely be a
> one-time thing created for a specific event.
>
> Would this still be considered a third party distro?

I think that it is. Otherwise, what is, for Haiku, a distro? If you can add apps and fonts and documents and still be the official build, where do you
draw the line?

Agreed. The only exception *ATM* is that we don't yet have a base
distro. You wouldn't even be allowed to call something "Haiku
Compatible". Jorge, I think that as long as we don't have an official
distro it's best to just ask if it's OK to add <apps,etc.> and still
call your particular CD a "Haiku pre-alpha promo CD".

Why not add what the above demo-related statement to the distro guidelines page? It would make it all more clear to anybody who would want to create a promo CD or VMWare image to know that it is possible, but that permission is required (and who to contact in that case).

BTW, this is not for me. :)

Cheers,

Koki