[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:22:59 +0000

> From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> It is very unfortunate that there's no base "distro".  But even if
> there was, what software would be included? Has anyone even started
> thinking about this? Has it even been discussed? Is there a list being
> maintained somewhere that community hasn't seen?

I think the answer to what would be included is "not much" - in a similar vain
to R5. I actually think that's a good thing, but maybe that's just me.

> > In the case of a CD produced to demo at a single event, say SCaLE, the
> > distro could be called "SCaLE 2007 Demo", and then lower down on the CD it
> > could include the text:
> > "This CD is based on pre-release Haiku code. The Haiku project will release
> > an official distribution of the OS when it is ready. For information about
> > the official Haiku project, please visit http://haiku-os.org.
> > This software is work in progress and has missing functionality as well as
> > many (known and unknown) bugs. Use at your own risk.
> > We are not affiliated with Haiku, do not contact them for support."
>
> That's very interesting - marketing to developers and technical users
> with a demo CD and then treating them like average users... That seems
> like an effective way to turn away potential developers.

Sorry, I just don't get that. I was demonstrating how the case Koki was talking
about (pre-release CD for handing out at conferences) could be accommodated
within the current guidelines. What do you mean by "treating them like average
users" - just saying on the CD that it is pre-release code and won't
necessarily be a good indication of the quality of the release? Surely that's a
sensible thing to say, whether to developers or users?

> The disclaimer is fine - but I would replace the last line with
> something to the effect of: "We support Haiku's efforts, if you are a
> developer or otherwise interested in improving the quality of this
> fledgling OS, please contact Haiku to help!" You get more flies with
> honey right?

People would be free to add that within the current guidelines.

Simon