[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 18:44:24 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, there are some people
> > out there giving Haiku seminars at universities and even at work,
> > and
> > for them it would be great if they could easily churn out a few CDs
> > with
> > some additional stuff such as the development tools, and maybe even
> > some
> > additional documentation.
> This, unfortunately, is not must of a reality yet :( GCC does run
> under Haiku, but when trying to build anything bigger than a couple
> of
> small source files, it tends to go south I think.

And this is exactly the point why we haven't released or distributed
such a CD.
At least this used to be our consensus - OTOH the image as is may
already be attractive and could potentially create interest.

> > Haiku already has test images available (both HDD and VMWare); a
> > demo
> > CD/image for a conference/seminar/etc. would only be an extension
> > of
> > that, with the same intended audience but a bit more demonstrative
> > of
> > what it can do, and better suited for the event or a non-English
> > audience where appropriate. Even if Haiku had an official base
> > distro
> > today, that will not change the fact that it can be enhanced as a
> > demo/promo tool by a few harmless additions.
> I think the problem is that "few harmless additions" is subjective.
> Some may consider an addition harmless, while others may feel it is
> distasteful or inappropriate for the Haiku image.

True, but I think at this point, just asking if something can be used
as a demo CD would be the way to go. There is no Haiku distribution yet
to consider.

> Firefox would be an example (even though it's barely usable in Haiku
> at this point anyway) - Many would consider Firefox to be a sub-par
> browser to distribute with Haiku, while others would consider it to
> be
> the "best choice so far". It's a debatable point because Firefox *is*
> the most useful browser available for BeOS and derivatives, but it is
> certainly not performance-friendly yet (nor stable on Haiku).

I would usually think "less is more" when it comes to distributions,
but I think there is just no alternative to Firefox today. However,
before we can put it onto a distribution, there are also some issues
(like the missing ability to print) to be addressed.

[...]
> It would be nice if there was a program where distribution authors
> could seek some type of "authorization" to use the Haiku name/logo
> for
> non-nefarious purposes :)

Agreed.

Bye,