[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Timothy Brown <stimbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:36:29 +1000

Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:
> Michael Phipps wrote:
>> Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:
>>>>

>>> Right. And that's why Haiku has so many developers?
>>
>> Please, let's be civil here. There is nothing in this but sarcasm, and
>> fairly pointless sarcasm, at that.
>
> I think it does make a point, and a valid one.

It does make a point, and it is valid to the point that Haiku doesn't have
a huge number of developers, but that doesn't mean your argument is
correct. There are many reasons why Haiku doesn't have a huge pool of
developers, but I think your argument that developers want a demo CD
(based upon your rebuttal of my comments) account for a very very small
number.

>> Linux and 3 different BSD's have lots of developers. They sure aren't
>> flashy.
>
> Where did I said anything about being flashy? If you and the gentleman
> had read my emails carefully, you would understand that I was not
> talking about making demos flashier with a nice GUI, but more effective
> as a demo tool and useful. Please, point me to any of me emails in this
> thread where I suggest anything about being flashy, and then I will take
> your rebuttal as being valid in that context.

You are right. I shouldn't have used the word flashy. Please ignore the
word. I think you also missed my point though. My point was that Haiku is
not ready to be manipulated to be "more effective as a demo tool and
useful". That isn't to say it never will be, and I am certainly not saying
we shouldn't be planning it now, I think this discussion is a positive,
not a negative, so please don't misunderstand me. My only point was that I
_predict_ this issue  will be less important that the noise generated on
the mailing list has given it credit.

>> The problem is convincing the target market that Haiku is viable,
>> successful and useful. If the target market is developers, well,
>> wouldn't developers, by definition, know how to sell to developers?
>
> That's an oversimplification. Being a consumer does not necessarily make
> you a person with knowledge on how to market to consumers. Or, if you
> prefer an example that as a developer you can relate to, GUIs are
> designed for end users, but that does not make end users the most
> knowledgeable about how to design and create a good GUI.
>
> Having said that, if Haiku takes the position that demos are useless and
> prefers that non-devs do not pursue this sort of promotional tools, then
> they should say so loud and clear, so that people who may have an
> interest in contributing in this area don't waste their time and effort
> in something that in the end may not be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Koki

I was not trying to say that "demos are useless", nor am I trying to
discourage their use. I just want to err on the side of caution. Since the
Haiku development community is small (as you keep pointing out), I don't
want potential developers to be put off before they even get involved (as
I'm sure you are aware, humans are fickle and a prejudice from one bad
experience can last a lifetime). I personally would prefer the developers
stay unaware for a while until Haiku is in a better position to attract
the developers in the correct way.

To sum up and get back on topic, I think this discussion is important, and
I support demo CD makers having an easier time of it than distro's, but I
also think there should be limits and controls.

Stim