[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 02:31:21 -0400

Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) wrote:
 > Let me give you an example.

Let's say that a user group in country X will be attending an open source conference, and they want to hand out either a Haiku live CD or a CD with a Haiku VMWare image of their making with some customizations like, say, a few additional apps, fonts to support their language, a little localized documentation, and perhaps branding/contact info specific to their user group.

Given that Haiku is a complete system and doesn't require you to mix and match like Linux does, I think that we have to consider pretty much any additions/removals to be a distro.

The above example is not a clean build from the repo, nor is it official, but it's not meant to be anything beyond a CD for demo or promotional purposes. As a matter of fact, it may most likely be a one-time thing created for a specific event.

Would this still be considered a third party distro?

I think that it is. Otherwise, what is, for Haiku, a distro? If you can add apps and fonts and documents and still be the official build, where do you draw the line?