[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:57:59 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.39, Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] wrote:
> RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > 1.) Seperation of Process and GUI
> >
> > I agree.  I propose that we don't even address any GUI issues in
> > this working group.  If we get control mechanism right, then a
> > GUI can be layered on top of that.
>
> However it would be nice not to enforce it, giving the
> ability to keep the GUI in the same process/address space
> as the DSP part. Imagine 50 simultaneous process on
> Windows...

On a platform that has a single toolkit, or a few ones that cooperate=20
nicely (which is not the case on any Un*x platfrom I know of), you=20
could just specify that GUI plugins may be loaded by the host, thus=20
ending up in the same process, and all GUI plugins possibly in the=20
same thread.

I don't think there's much point in breaking the "only DSP code in DSP=20
plugins" rule to achieve this. It doesn't really matter if a plugin=20
is one DLL or two DLLs. We *could* allow GUI plugins in the same=20
binaries as DSP plugins on some platforms, but what's the point? All=20
it does is make it harder for other operating systems on the same=20
architecture to run the plugins.

An example would be the efforts to run Win32 VST plugins on Linux/x86.=20
(This has been done!) The only real problem with that is the GUI=20
code... Why make this hard when many of us would actually want to=20
*support* it?

With clean DSP plugins, running plugins for one CPU arch on all=20
operating systems that use that CPU arch is not much of a problem.=20
All you have to deal with is the object file format and the ABI of=20
the alien platforms you want to support. The actual code will=20
generally Just Work(TM). Well, there are issues with CPUs that=20
support multiple endian formats and other kinds of "modes", but most=20
operating systems seem to use the native modes these days.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.