[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:06:47 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.42, Urs Heckmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11.02.03, um 15:33 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
>
> RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> >> 1.) Seperation of Process and GUI
> >
> > I agree.  I propose that we don't even address any GUI issues in
> > this working group.  If we get control mechanism right, then a
> > GUI can be layered
> > on top of that.
>
> Oh, please don't underestimate the importance of a unified GUI
> mechanism.
>
> Look at AudioUnits. They don't come mainly because people don't
> know how to port their visuals from VSTGUI to Carbon. (I assume
> that at least)
>
> The acceptance of PlugIns (market) and theri development is
> somewhat bound to this stuff, I'd say as much as to the process
> itself...

You're right - and this is why I keep mentioning GUI stuff in the XAP=20
discussions every now and then. However, the problem with making the=20
GUI stuff part of the discussion right away is that it easilly ends=20
up in an API that has lots of hard-coded GUI-specific stuff.

If you try to design the DSP plugin API without thinking too much=20
about GUI stuff, you *might* end up with something that has a clean=20
DSP/GUI interface, as well as making GUIs optional.

If we're going to discuss API stuff as part of the plugit API, I can=20
assure you that

=091) We'll waste 80% of the list bandwidth on this.

=092) We'll end up creating Yet Another Full Blown GUI
=09   Toolkit that *still* doesn't satisfy everyone.

=093) We'll never get anything useful at all out the door.

The point here is that we should "only" consider the aspects of=20
talking to a plugin.

GUIs are just things that talk to plugins, right? Let's worry about=20
*how* at a later point.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.