[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:00:02 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.54, Steve Harris wrote:
[...]
> The actual mechanism might be tricky to specify, it appears that
> Windows devleopers prefer threads, whereas UNIX people would
> generally prefer seperate processes (more safety, seperation and
> processes have no more overhead than threads + various toolkit
> issues).

If we instead specify an API that's capable of both, we can reduce the=20
rest to deciding whether or not a GUI is an executable or a shared=20
library. This could even differ between platforms - or we just say=20
"shared library" and have platforms that require it run each GUI=20
instance under a private host in it's own process. The latter has the=20
advantage that you could do it both ways *on the same platform*, if=20
the host thinks that's a good idea.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.