[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:48:52 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.49, Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] wrote:
> Urs Heckmann wrote:
> > > I agree.  I propose that we don't even address any GUI issues
> > > in this working group.  If we get control mechanism right, then
> > > a GUI can be layered on top of that.
> >
> > Oh, please don't underestimate the importance of a unified GUI
> > mechanism.
>
> I agree with Ron, we should not make GMPI a replacement for
> VSTGUI or whatever. However we should care about communication
> with the GUI, which is important.

Or let me put it this way: Let's worry about *communication* - be it=20
with GUIs, other plugins in a pack (streaming FFTs, maybe?) or=20
whatever.

=46rom the API POV, I don't think a GUI is as special as some seem to=20
suggest it is. It's indeed very important (*), but doesn't really=20
require any support beyond the usual control and preset stuff in the=20
DSP plugin API.

(*) Although many plugins do just fine without custom GUIs,
    and some users and/or platforms cannot use custom GUIs,
    or even GUIs at all. This is as important to keep in mind
    as the GUIs themselves.

> A x-platform GUI lib
> dedicated to plug-ins can be provided separately.

Yes, something like VSTGUI would be cool, for those that want to write=20
portably GUIs. Others may use native code, something that parses XML=20
files, Java or whatnot. Let's just not *dictate* anything, as that's=20
99.9% guaranteed to fail.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.