[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: Urs Heckmann <urs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:55:12 +0100

Am Dienstag, 11.02.03, um 15:41 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Silver
Blade:

> I think it'd be threads and not processes.

<snip>
>> However it would be nice not to enforce it, giving the
>> ability to keep the GUI in the same process/address space
>> as the DSP part. Imagine 50 simultaneous process on
>> Windows...
>>
>> -- Laurent

Uhm, I think what is important is that they are seperate code blocks
that communicate via a protocol.

They may not have any dependency in terms of shared data / direct
memory access.

The plugin must be able to survive without the GUI.

As Marc pointed out, the GUI and process should be able to live on
different machines.

Laurent wrote:
> A x-platform GUI lib
> dedicated to plug-ins can be provided separately.

This would be okay if there's additional benefit from the API, such as
a unified control mechanism which doesn't only control Audio PlugIns
but also other processes or even Hardware machines.

If the GUI mechanism is tied to the PlugIn format, I would find it hard
to argue against proposing the standard in one go.

Cheers,

;)  Urs

urs heckmann
urs@xxxxxxxx