[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:55:19 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.55, Urs Heckmann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 11.02.03, um 15:41 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Silver
>
> Blade:
> > I think it'd be threads and not processes.
>
> <snip>
>
> >> However it would be nice not to enforce it, giving the
> >> ability to keep the GUI in the same process/address space
> >> as the DSP part. Imagine 50 simultaneous process on
> >> Windows...
> >>
> >> -- Laurent
>
> Uhm, I think what is important is that they are seperate code
> blocks that communicate via a protocol.
>
> They may not have any dependency in terms of shared data / direct
> memory access.
>
> The plugin must be able to survive without the GUI.
>
> As Marc pointed out, the GUI and process should be able to live on
> different machines.
>
> Laurent wrote:
> > A x-platform GUI lib
> > dedicated to plug-ins can be provided separately.
>
> This would be okay if there's additional benefit from the API, such
> as a unified control mechanism which doesn't only control Audio
> PlugIns but also other processes or even Hardware machines.

I prefer to think of a GUI toolkit as something you use to construct=20
and run a GUI, period.

The other stuff is done using some other lib, such as a GMPI API lib=20
that lets you connect to plugins running in other applications. (Or=20
perhaps, lets you run as an out-of-process plugin that the host or=20
user can connect as desired. I prefer it that way.)

> If the GUI mechanism is tied to the PlugIn format, I would find it
> hard to argue against proposing the standard in one go.

I wouldn't. A GUI toolkit that works for more than some 80% of plugin=20
GUIs (at best) is basically the Holy Grail of GUI programming, and I=20
don't expect to see a useful implementation any time soon.

Maybe we're not *only* audio hackers around here (any people with=20
experience in designing serious GUI toolkits?), but a GUI toolkit is=20
*really* beyond the scope of GMPI, I think.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.