[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:43:40 +0100

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 15.33, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > 1.) Seperation of Process and GUI
>
> I agree.  I propose that we don't even address any GUI issues in
> this working group.  If we get control mechanism right, then a GUI
> can be layered on top of that.

Yes, I totally agree.

An out-of-process soft real time extension/variant of the API=20
(conceptually similar to JACK - http://jackit.sourceforge.net/ )=20
could be used to make it easy for hosts to connect plugins and GUIs,=20
as well as to avoid yet another API for the GUI "modules". GUIs would=20
appear as normal plugins to hosts, meant to be connected 1:1 by=20
looking at the control names and types.

There are other ways, of course, but either way, not much more needs=20
to be said about it at this point.

=2E- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.