[gmpi] Re: my first ideas

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:54:00 +0000

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 03:49:36 +0100, Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] wrote:

> Urs Heckmann wrote:
> >
> > > I agree.  I propose that we don't even address any GUI issues in this
> > > working group.  If we get control mechanism right, then a GUI can be
> > > layered on top of that.
> >
> > Oh, please don't underestimate the importance of a unified GUI
> > mechanism.
>
> I agree with Ron, we should not make GMPI a replacement for
> VSTGUI or whatever. However we should care about communication
> with the GUI, which is important. A x-platform GUI lib
> dedicated to plug-ins can be provided separately.

Yes, merely specifying the way in which the UI communicates with the DSP
code is enought for the time being, plugin developers can write x-platform
UI code if they choose to.

The actual mechanism might be tricky to specify, it appears that Windows
devleopers prefer threads, whereas UNIX people would generally prefer
seperate processes (more safety, seperation and processes have no more
overhead than threads + various toolkit issues).

- Steve