[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - gesture start/end

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:01:43 -0800

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 10:04:35AM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> I worry (probably too much) about making assumptions that pre-empt
> functionality.  I can imagine situations where you might well want to
> have more than one sender per control, and I can imagine plugs that
> have their own internal sub-sequencing functions.  Both of these
> wouldn't be possible with the solution you describe, yes?  What if we

The way I described it, it is the host's problem.  The host surely COULD
allow you to send from two sources simultaneously.  You'd probably end up
with 'fighting', and the parameter would ping-pong between the two sources
as each event arrived, but it would work.

Something like the priorities could even be user-defined, if the host
allowed it to be.  Define them with the same priority, and the host won't do
any filtering, it will just send them straight through.

We can leave the case of "I've received two gesture-start events but no
gesture -end events" to the plugin.  Really, I can't see why ANY plugin
would want to know about gesture events AT ALL.  They really are hints to
the host.  They are out-of-band data on the virtual wire.

Tim