[gmpi] Re: New Reqs 3.8 - Events

  • From: Marc Poirier <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:04:06 -0800 (PST)

--- Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:30:37AM -0800, Marc Poirier wrote:
> > You're right that the "gesture" thing is good for undo stuff.  It is
> > also necessary for doing what some call "touch" automation.  That's
> > something

> > Anyway, these I think are most of the reasons why I have lobbied for
> > the gesture stuff.
>
> Thanks for the great description.  What I am not clear on is how this
> impacts the requirements?  Assuming all events are going through (or at
> least are visible to) the host, the host can do this with no help needed

> from Plugins.
>
> Do we need to inform plugins of gesture start/end?  Or just the host?

I can't think of a case where the plugin would need to know (at least not
a case where the plugin wouldn't already be the one propogating the
begin/end notifications), but, I don't know, there might be some plugins
with special needs.  But I'm kind of thinking that this needs a step back
in thinking, because I think that what you're getting at applies to events
/ property changes / parameter value changes in general, and how
notifications of those are handled.  I've said this a long time ago, but
I'll say again that I'm pretty into the way how AU handles this stuff with
the listener/notification stuff.  Anyone can install a listener for an
event type, parameter ID, or property type and anyone can generate
notifications of changes of those.  The implementation is mostly done in
the OS, which is not something that GMPI is likely to be doing, but some
sort of central dispatcher figure (I guess probably the host) is used.
Anyway, I might be rambling at this point, but what I'm getting at is that
I think that asking "who needs to know this?" is the wrong question and
"shouldn't this be handled in a manner of notifications that is consistent
throughout GMPI and is spiffy like AU's?" is the better question.  Than
you know that you'll get what you want for everything, yeh know?

Sorry that my reply was so laggard, I've been sick and also not around
much, way way behind on email now...

Marc

http://photos.yahoo.com/